Monday, March 22, 2010

Girl Germs at SXSW: Anna


TUESDAY, MARCH 16
Greetings from Austin, Texas! I caught my first set of bands Tuesday evening (while y’all were certainly listening to Girl Germs). The Panache SXSW pre-party at the Scoot Inn was too good to pass up- The Coathangers, Thee Oh Sees, the Strangeboys and  Golden Triangle were all Radio K-tastic bands on the lineup, and the Coathangers & Golden Triangle have proven to be exciting Girl Germs bands as our show has gotten started. Needless to say, they didn’t disappoint. Despite being exhausted from our 22-hour van trip down to Texas, it was worth it to stand on some very tired legs of mine for the great performances the bands gave. Former Mika Miko member Jenna Thornhill joined the Strangeboys onstage on the saxophone (and bore a striking resemblance to Roseanne’s Sara Gilbert- observe!) 



Golden Triangle followed with a set that is likely to end up a festival highlight- they brought the energy, style, and decibel count of the backyard show to a whole new level. Two of the frontwomen snarled and shook their tambourines while another calmly played the bass in glittery 6-inch heels. They were backed by three gentlemen, which surprised me- I assumed that Golden Triangle would be a trio live. At any rate, the extra band members only served to strengthen their iron wall of sound. Their energy and stamina (plus those truly awesome haircuts) held out for a long time. By the end of the show, my ears were ringing but my heart was happy!

                                           Golden Triangle

Stick around for more news from South By Southwest and Girl Germs- I’ll be joined by Dana here in Austin in just a few days, and she’ll be providing even more Girl Germs-worthy SXSW news. Check out Radio K’s coverage of the festival at radiok.org/sxsw.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 17
On Wednesday, I interviewed Basia Bulat after she performed at the Paste Magazine day party- she was really sweet, and talked about performing at South By Southwest and her excellent hat collection. You can check out our interview here. I also got to talk with Peter from the Antlers later in the afternoon (and while that isn’t totally Girl Germs-related, it was pretty awesome!) At night I went to the Stone’s Throw showcase, where Peanut Butter Wolf, Madlib, and Dâm Funk spun some of their favorite records (many of which featured some soulful ladies).   

                                                   BASIA!
THURSDAY, MARCH 18
On Thursday, I saw a performance from and interviewed Olga from The Besnard Lakes, who had great things to say about their new album and the process of scoring a new film by Mark Ruffalo- I'll link to that one when it's up on Radio K's SXSW blog.
After talking to The Besnard Lakes I wandered over to the French Legation Museum, which was a really cool venue.  People were enjoying lime popsicles on the grass while the bands played on outside stages, so it was perfect for a sunny Thursday afternoon. 
                                           Outside la musée

There I caught a set from the little-seen but much blogged about Subpop-signees Dum Dum Girls, and then from The xx. I had heard mixed reviews about The xx live, but in my opinion, their performance totally blew me away. They’re playing a sold-out show with JJ at the Varsity Theater on April 9th.

                           The xx- so very tiny from my vantage point.

FRIDAY, MARCH 19 & SATURDAY, MARCH 20
Friday I saw New Zealand artist Bachelorette, who performed solo and managed to reproduce her album’s complexity with a laptop and a looping pedal. I've been loving her second album “My Electric Family” lately, so I’m really excited to see her open up for Beach House on April 4th at the Cedar.  
                                           Bachelorette

I didn’t see any lady-ful bands on Saturday night, but I did run into Dana at the Woodsist showcase, accompanied by Allison from Hot Lava. In all it was really fun, and you can check out lots more SXSW coverage and some excellent instudios + videos at Radio K's SXSW blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment